Natural Products Insider

APR 2012

INSIDER is the leading information source for marketers, manufacturers and formulators of dietary supplements, healthy foods and cosmeceuticals. Since 1997, INSIDER has been serving the needs of the global nutrition industry.

Issue link: http://digital.naturalproductsinsider.com/i/58990

Contents of this Issue

Navigation

Page 41 of 60

REEZE DRIED FRUIT, NUTS, PECTIN, FRUIT GRANULATES, INULI Sturm said the benefits can vary by type of fiber; some are associated with digestive health, some with heart and immune health. "The average American diet, deficient in fruits and vegetables, opens doors for products that can conveniently deliver benefits in a cost-efficient manner without side effects," she said. Types of Fiber Insoluble fibers include cellulose, hemicelluloses and lignins; soluble fibers include pectin, gums, chitin and beta-glucans. Each fiber type can be sourced from many different plants, but it is important to note plants offer some ratio of both soluble and insoluble fibers. For instance, psyllium is about 7:3 soluble:insoluble fiber, as is larch arabinogalactan (from the larch tree). Some soluble fibers are also considered prebiotic because they stimulate the proliferation of beneficial bacteria (probiotics) in the digestive tract. According to the International Scientific Association for Probiotics and Prebiot ics (ISAPP), a prebiot ic ef fect requi res resistance to degradation by stomach acid, enzymes or hydrolysis; and selective stimulation of Nature's most perfect supplements fermentat ion by intestinal microbes; the growth and/or activity of posi tive microorganism in the gut. The pr imary prebiotic fibers are fructooligosaccharides (FOS) and galactool igosacchar ides (GOS). Inul in is a popular form of FOS, and some other emerging prebiot ics include polydex t rose, soybean oligosaccharides, isomaltooligosaccharides, gluco-oligosaccharides, xylo- oligosaccharides, palatinose, gentio-oligosaccharides and sugar alcohols (such as lactitol, sorbitol and maltitol). Packaged Facts reported that in 2004, 91 percent of all U.S. sales of fiber were conventional insoluble fibers, with the remaining 9 percent divided between soluble fibers and novel fibers. However, the firm predicted a major shift in market share among the fiber types by 2014. Novel fibers showed the strongest growth between 2005 and 2009, posting a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of near ly 66 percent, dr iven by polydextrose (about 55-percent CAGR). The data fur ther showed chicory root / inulin had a 42-percent CAGR and FOS/fructan had about a 36-percent CAGR during the same period. They noted GOS, resistant starch and soluble corn fiber/ resistant corn dextrin all saw doubled or tripled growth rates after being introduced to the market. Larry Robinson, Ph.D., vice president scientific affairs for Embria Heal th Sciences, said the most common prebiotic fibers are polymers of the sugar fructose such as FOS and inulin. "FOS is generally defined as having no more than 10 sugars in the oligosaccharide, while inulin has at least some polymers that contain more than 10 sugars," he explained. "It is becoming more common now for some products to contain both probiotics (live beneficial bacteria) and prebiotics." From your most reliable partner For functionality with great taste, call 914.631.3545 or visit our website at www.pocanticoresources.net OAL CURTA NN,INUL I S,ETAANULT GRUI FRN,IECT P,RBE FI S,EST naturalproductsinsider ยก com 37 F N , NATURAL COLORS, JUICE POWDERS, SWEETENERS, NUT PASTES, FIBER, FREEZE DRIED FRUIT, NUTS, PECTIN, FRUIT GRANULATES, INULIN, NATURAL COLORS, JUICE POWDERS, SWEETENERS, NUT ORS, JUICE POWDERS, SWEETENERS, NUT PASTES, FIBER, FREEZE DRIED FRUIT, NUTS, PECTIN, FRUIT GRANULATES, INULIN, NATURAL COLORS, JUICE POWDERS, SWEETENERS, NUT PASTES, FIBER P A L ,

Articles in this issue

Links on this page

Archives of this issue

view archives of Natural Products Insider - APR 2012