Natural Products Insider

MAY-JUN 2018

INSIDER is the leading information source for marketers, manufacturers and formulators of dietary supplements, healthy foods and cosmeceuticals. Since 1997, INSIDER has been serving the needs of the global nutrition industry.

Issue link: http://digital.naturalproductsinsider.com/i/973827

Contents of this Issue

Navigation

Page 47 of 76

naturalproductsinsider . com 35 Food & Beverage: Functional Beverage Innovation benefi ts, are suitable for dairy- and plant-based carriers," she detailed. "The most commonly incorporated bacterial strains include Lactobacillus acidophilus, L. rhamnosus, L. casci and Bifi dobacterium bifi dum. Commercial dairy beverages are often further enriched for the omega-3 fatty acids, α-linolenic acid, eicosapentaenoic acid [EPA] and docosahexaenoic acid [DHA], useful in the regulation of lipid levels and cardiovascular markers. Moreover, dairy is frequently the carrier in fi ber-fortifi ed beverages containing fructooligosaccharides [FOS], β-glucans or inulins. Vitamins and minerals are easily added to dairy or plant-based beverages." Other ingredients on the rise include those that deliver a tangible effect. "Energy remains a key category with consumers forever on the search for a convenient pick-me-up," Wheeler stated. "With the growing safety concerns surrounding synthetic caffeine due to the negative side effects (e.g., jitters and crash), and megadosing from energy drinks, consumers are searching for more natural, clean alternatives. "Millennials are looking for the value-add in energy. Obviously, it must still must deliver the 'take it/feel it' benefi ts of caffeine, but consumers also care about the journey of the ingredient." He pointed to FutureCeuticals' Organic Coffeeberry ® Energy—a patented botanical extract derived from coffee fruit and standardized to 70 percent natural caffeine, with the remaining 30 percent containing the polyphenols from the whole coffee fruit. Wheeler said it delivers caffeine with increased antioxidant protection. Organic caffeine is also a focus at AFS. "We have seen a large push for beverage manufacturers to create energy products with natural or organic positioning," Zapp shared. "Notable evidence has been well-publicized with the launches of AMP Organic, Rockstar Organic and even the acquisition of HiBall by AB Bev [Anheuser- Busch InBev]. Yet, beyond these larger corporate examples, AFS has seen many creative startups and mid-sized companies approaching this space with novel concepts for cleaner energy drinks, and this category does not look like it will slow down anytime soon. " Two best-sellers at AFS are PurCaf ® organic caffeine from green coffee and PurTea™ organic caffeine from green tea. Zapp said both USDA certifi ed organic offerings yield more than 90 percent caffeine content, are fully water-soluble, have a more neutral taste profi le, are Non-GMO Project Verifi ed and GRAS (generally recognized as safe). One of Ingredia's star offerings is PRODIET ® Fluid, a micellar casein specifi cally formulated for high protein beverages. Sager said it can be used in formulation up to 14 percent while keeping fl uidity. The native milk protein isolate (MPI) in spray-dried powder comes from a nondenaturing membrane fi ltration process—a mechanical (nonchemical) protein extraction process that helps keep the intrinsic properties of the protein, including nutritional attributes and good rehydration. As a UHT-stable protein, PRODIET Fluid offers advantages for ready-to-drink (RTD) development. Once a waste stream of coff ee production, Cascara has since moved center stage in the functional beverage space. Clean. Soluble. Sustainable. From Nature's Most Powerful Superfruit Coff eeberry ® CREATE A STIR C O F F E E F R U I T P R O D U C T S W W W . C O F F E E B E R R Y . C O M 888-452-6853 | www.futureceuticals.com Visit us at IFT18 in Chicago July 16-18, Booth S3444

Articles in this issue

Links on this page

Archives of this issue

view archives of Natural Products Insider - MAY-JUN 2018